Souvenirs from the Salem Oak available for visitors to the 500-year-old fallen relic

Admirers of the centuries-old Salem oak tree that fell to the ground earlier this month can now own a piece of history to preserve their memories of the majestic tree.

The Salem Friends Meeting, whose Quaker cemetery housed the more than 500-year-old tree, offers leaves and small pieces of branches to those who visit the fallen oak tree at 200 E. Broadway St. in Salem.

The tree collapsed on June 6 after several weeks of heavy rain and flooding in South Jersey. Preservation efforts have continued in recent years to keep the tree upright.

Adding to the Salem Oak lore, a historical marker at the site indicates that it was the site of a 1675 peace treaty between Quaker John Fenwick and Lenni Lenape Native Americans.

Members of the Friends of Salem Reunion told NJ.com that they have already given out leaves to those who visit the cemetery. The next step will be to give branches less than three inches thick.

The fallen tree remains at the site as Salem Friends Meeting and other community groups determine how best to remove and distribute the remains of the tree.

Those interested in obtaining larger pieces of wood from the tree should contact Salem Friends Meeting via email at [email protected]